This weekend will be the 16th annual Big Beers, Belgians and Barleywine Festival (Great recount of the fest’s history available here). Last year was my inaugural visit and while I certainly had a wicked time (read about it here), I felt like I can do better this year. But how, exactly, can someone attend another festival and cover it in a way that’s fun for the protagonist and interesting for the reader? My friends, I may have solved my own problem.
I teamed up with my buds at Focus on the Beer and, with our powers combined, created an awesome scavenger hunt game for the festival. FotB and BnL will be participating in a friendly competition, and we are inviting you (yes, you with the face) to join us! The rules are pretty simple:
- You can participate on the three main social media outlets – Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- You must post a picture or video of the scavenger item for it to be valid.
- Tag your picture using the hashtag #BigBeersHunt2016 on Twitter and Instagram
- Post your picture in the comments section of a post we will be making in the Big Beers, Belgians and Barleywines Facebook group (sorry, comments don’t support video)
- We’ll only score each item once, so no racking up points on a million Cicerone pins!
- Follow along and give people some shit during the game!
All of the items will be separated into point categories (below) and will be used to figure out a final score and declare a winner. Bonus points will be given to anyone who gets a member of the FotB and BnL crew in a picture and tag them.
Here are the point categories:
Beer under 7%
Someone wearing sandals (bonus points if with socks)
Someone wearing physical beer goggles
Selfie with Seminar presenters
Any sort of ‘vertical’ tasting available (3+ years/bottles…extra point for any bottle/year over 3)
Beer aged over 10 years
person passed out in public
Line for Men’s/No line for women’s Restroom
Brewery owned by Budweiser
Selfie with Laura Lodge
Beer = Salad shirt
Homebrew Comp Winner
“Beer” shirt with the picture of a bear with antlers
All items above. We bow to you and your ultimate power.
So if you’re at the festival, play along and prepare to be slaughtered by my scavenger prowess. I’ll be sharing some of my favorite posts along the way and making sure to talk some smack since this is officially war, and warfare is like, 90% mental. That sounds like a quote from a famous person. I’m sticking with it.